previous   table of
contents
  next
   

Rick's Rap   - December 2007

      Bob's mixer got repaired earlier than we had anticipated and we did some recording with it. The results sounded just the same as when we used my p.a., so we assume it's actually repaired. Bob re-arranged his basement band nook, and it took us a bit of experimenting to decide we were comfortable with it.

      After the initial euphoria with the new guitar tracks recordings wore off, things got a little nasty. It seems that although they are crisp and clear, neither one of us likes the tone at all. I brought a prospective baseline cd to Bob's and insisted we listen to it instead of recording any more. Bob wasn't happy with this, but he acquiesed. We couldn't agree on what was wrong, but we were sure we didn't like it.

      I made up a cd with a range of e.q.'s of the new tracks and brought it up to Bob's and we listened to it. Pretty much all we could agree on was they all sucked. Bob wanted to continue recording while I was trying to figure out what was wrong, but I got obstinate and insisted that I wasn't going to simultaneously try and keep recording while I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with the mastering, like I did for the original tracks. I told him that I wasn't going to do anything but work on the mastering until I could come up with a baseline eq for the new stuff that we were both comfortable with.

      After I came up with some possibilities, I made up some cds and brought them up to Bob's. I picked up my guitar and brought it home with me in case it was going to be necessary to experiment with the tone controls on the guitar itself, instead of trying to do everything post recording. We left it that Bob would listen to the cds and get back to me with a critical review, and we'd take it from there.

     

      Stay tuned,

Rick

               
previous   table of
contents
  next